Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Song of the Dead


Vultures.

I see them swooping down on carcasses left behind by men.

Merciless. Irreverent. Hungry.

Dogs fight for stray limbs of half-burnt humans.

Letting go a shrill cry of frenzied thirst

Not a sound.

Not a sound to be heard.

Hawks nibbling at lifeless eyes.

Empty sockets stay gaping blankly at the night.

Stars too afraid to shimmer.

The moon takes refuge somewhere safe

Clouds- a shade of sinister black.

Life weeps somewhere far.

Like a child too afraid to touch the dead

I wait behind the curtain of silence.

Not even a prayer

Not a prayer on my lips.

Not a hope on my mind.

A spectator.

Only a silent spectator.

Helpless.

Still.

Infirm.




Bones rattle out in the open again.

Sooty at being half burnt.

Bury them!

Bury them deep somewhere

I hate the smell of death.

No incense, please

No flowers.

Death is not glorious here.

Death is not a feast.

Children sing at a far off place

I can hear their song.

Or is it some hymn of death.

Are all the dead awake

To see the living fare

A flux of life snuffs out the cold

from the womb of the night

Like that unborn child

in silent despair

It grudges life to death

Somewhere.

Again, I hear whispers.

Soft, soothing like death.

They are here.

Or am I just hearing things.

Oh! I forgot to breathe for a while.

Awe in awe of fear.



Sighs.

That rend the air

Ricochet twice from end to end

In mourning of a great demise.

No lip will ever arc in a smile.

No flutter flap inside my heart.

I died a painless death that time

When I kissed your lips.

When you drew my blood.

In an endless trickle

With greed in your eyes

I saw death in them.

Let the dust-storm lull.

Let it all begin for once.

Let the rot run riot in your veins too.

Let my ghost die in some peace today.

And float somewhere far away.

To a place where I may avenge this day.

Someplace- I may meet you half-way.




photo: gettyimages.com

13 comments:

dreamy said...

There is something about the photo you've put up. It seems like as if you've written the poem in order to describe the photo.

Noisy Autist said...

the last paragraph... quite strong.

What's In A Name ? said...

# dreamy - Yes, my previous blog where it was posted initially had people pointing out the same thing. It seems I make good choices, and suitable ones at that. :)

# N.A- Coupe de grace. :)

Whats in a name.......... said...

this particular poem of yours,,,dark very dark,,gave me goose bumps!! it was almost like i could see wat u were describing....

Anonymous said...

you've been hat tipped. Thanks for the personality test quiz which i happened to notice.

"Let the rot run riot in your veins too."
Nice.

What's In A Name ? said...

# Miss Namesake- I succeed then! :)

# Mr. Banerjee- Thank you, Sir.

Madhuri said...

Death is easy... as long as its our own :( ... Sad, but lovely!

Llama said...

I got the goosebumps too. Kind of had my heart in my mouth in suspense/fear.

What's In A Name ? said...

# madhuri- Thanks.

# P.C- I succeed once more then! :)

WritingsForLife said...

i love how you use so few words to describe such elaborate meanings.

:-)

What's In A Name ? said...

# raajii- Thanks. And yes, I like your urdu shayari too.

Macadamia The Nut said...

You've painted a grim picture... but beautiful nonetheless! You brought out the darker aspects so well babe!

What's In A Name ? said...

# Mac - :P The next one's brighter, I hope. Thankie.