Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Climber Growing Up My Wall


Last afternoon when I was free

Ambling aimless all by me

At my backyard made this find

Of one luscious climber tree.


Growing off one seedy crack

I did marvel at its knack

Of surviving the cruel heat

Running up an unseen track.


Tendrils hung in mystery curl

Every node in eager knurl

As if reaching out for help

To let its nascent leaves unfurl.


Taking moments off my praise

Reason intervened my gaze

I considered uprooting it

And put the trouble all ablaze.


Craven, it did seem at first

For this summer it won’t last

Though I pondered if the clouds

Would come early to its thirst.


My mind from me wanted to know

If some kindness I could show

To let this harmless climber live

And come back later, see it grow.


That very moment I could sense

Tender leaves wilt in suspense

No fruit or flower tempting me

That often makes for recompense.


And while I turned my back to leave

I sensed a feeling of reprieve

In unheard words of thankfulness

That I had let that climber live.


My tribute to Robert Frost and his poems which inspired me through the simplicity of their verse and gravity of their import. This was written a couple of years back as a humble homage.


photo:google-images

11 comments:

Antigone said...

with the exception of one stanza u keep the rhyme scheme flowing very smoothly. and its a tribute Frost would have been glad to call his own :)

Noisy Autist said...

very apt tribute, i must say.

WritingsForLife said...

wow... simply beautiful :)
Cheers!

lightmatic said...

Brilliant!

Llama said...

Lovely.. It reminded me of "The Exposed Nest" by Frost. He would have been proud of this one.

dreamy said...

I really liked this one.

What's In A Name ? said...

# antigone- Which stanza ?
and
"glad to call his own". I have no words to thank you.

# noisy autist, raaji, blade, dreamy- Thank you very very much!!

# poojo c.- That was the first Frost poem I read when in Class-V. And I liked it very much.

Inside our hands, outside our hearts said...

I am a love poet. Some long some short. Everything I read, I take love and add it to the mixture. I have not read one thing so far that you have written that I do not like. You are talented. Thank you for allowing me to read this.

t

What's In A Name ? said...

# inside/outside- No thanks, Ma'am. The pleasure's all mine that you visited.

ArSENik said...

Mr. Frost would have been proud, mighty proud. Personally, I am not into Frost at all. Snooty pricks like me don't give two hoots for 'lesser' creatures like flora and fauna, and concentrate all their passion on the most selfish of them all - man (actually woman, more often ;) ).

What's In A Name ? said...

# aresnik- you are too honest for these times. :)