Sunday, December 09, 2007

The New Airtel ad


The new AIRTEL ad really moved me. The idea that communication can dissolve boundaries between States and join people has that sort of an effect on me. Always. It gives me goosebumps.

The people behind making this ad really deserve praise. In times when everything from soap bars to sedans are marketed using the attention holding abilities of the unclad female body or star-power of film personalities, the idea of portraying a simple human story woven into the framework of an eternally relevant message is undeniably brave and positively reassuring.

The simple story where two little boys from two sides of a barbed wire fence decide to play football on what is understandably a 'no man's land' (LOC) conveys a simple message, but that which has a universal appeal. There is a certain sense of defiance in the way the two kids cross their borders to engage in a sport, ironic with a blissful disregard for human boundaries, consumed by their juvenile frivolity and characteristic innocence.
A swarm of thoughts flooded my mind on catching the ad for the first time on TV today.
It reminded me of Frost's 'Mending Wall'. It reminded me of the futility of divisions among humans. And how we all are a party to it.


I congratulate the team behind the concept of the ad. AIRTEL has been a leader in the way they market their product in a responsible manner and some of their previous advertisements bear ample testimony to that.

Here's another from their stable that touched me. Long back.




Video: Courtesy: Youtube.com
Logo: Google.com

6 comments:

Preeti Shenoy said...

Yes I too love the airetl ads and their signature tune. Their service isn't great though.(I use airtel) It is just that the ads are cleverly made.

What's In A Name ? said...

#Ps- Here In Kolkata....their service isn't that poor too.

Occasional Brilliance said...

their style is undeniable... but they need to up their substance a bit... i use an Airtel connection for GPRS. their customer services need to improve dramatically in Pune...

ArSENik said...

Nice ad. Now want to see the new one as well.

ad libber said...

I got airtel for the very reason that Rahman made the signature tune :P

Airtel ads have never been disappointing. From the signature tune, to the concepts, to the simplistic approach, this is what advertising is all about.

Anonymous said...

this is my concept but rediffusion the makers of this ad copied my idea...i sent it to them in 2005 and still have the email where they acknowledged my ad...but they copyrighted without giving me any credit...but i guess ive learnt my lesson and be careful next time...really dont know wa to do as im screwed and cant really do anything about it except just change the channel whenever they air that ad...