Saturday, July 14, 2007

'Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix'


Got to see ‘Harry Potter and The Order of Phoenix’ today. Though I am not a Harry Potter follower by any means (have still to read a book on him), I found the film ......hmmmm.......quite ‘enjoyable’. The story starts with the interference of the Minister of Magic in the affairs at Hogwarts, and a sort of cold wave of suspicion runs through every character of eminence. Minister Cornelius Fudge believes Dumbledore is set to overtake him and for this he is secretly organizing his own army of wizards. So he sends his trusted lieutenant, the detestable Dolores Umbridge who promptly introduces a reign of draconian laws and suffocating regulations in Hogwarts. She gives one the creeps with her eerie smiles and Elizabethan frowns. In one word she is instantly ‘hate-able’. Full marks to her.


Then the expected turn of events is initiated as conspiracies are unearthed. He-who-should-not-be-named is named with gay abandon. Talking letters, Centaurs, giants, broomsticks, secret chambers and fireworks brighten up one’s mood for a while. The first-half drags a little. The second part is no respite as a sort of detailed narrative is attempted by the director, perhaps driven by a sudden realization to stick to the story. Almost in a military-camp manner.


Yes, Harry gets his first kiss (God knows what’s so sensational about it?).

And as a gross mutilation/diversion of/from the story Cho Chang is nothing close to beautiful. Leave alone being the most glamorous girl in the world as given in the story.


Then like a teenage fling it all subsides midst the gathering clouds of war.

And here approaches the moment I was eagerly looking forward to.


The Showdown.


But naahhhh, nothing like that.


Dumbledore steals all the thunder from Harry. He wards off Voldemort and saves the day.


Sirius Black vanishes into oblivion (he dies in the wand-skirmish) and Harry loses his only family left, his beloved godfather. The story ends with happy faces and an enlightened Fudge who dismisses Umbridge. Dumbledore is re-instated and ‘The Prophecy’ discussed.


THE END.


I actually came out of the theatre trying to convince myself that I had liked the movie. But I hadn’t.


No qualms about that.


But who cares?


I would have thumped my forehead in mock-disdain if I would have had to pay the astronomical150 Rupees (considering non-multiplex rates in my city are much cheaper) for a second day show of the film.

God be thanked that it was a dear friend of mine who arranged for the free-passes.

11 comments:

dreamy said...

The general verdict has been pretty similar to whatever you've said,I haven't seen the film.But thanks for the review!I wont go to some shining multiplex to watch it,good old Nandan with Rs20 tickets it is for me!


also, can I link you?

Preeti Shenoy said...

Thats why i told my kids that i'd take them for the show during Week-day as the rates are so much cheaper! :-)

Preeti Shenoy said...

(since I dont have any friend who will arrange for passes!)

Shru said...

the movies r not upto the matk...they book is gr888!yea u will become a haryy potter fan once u read it!..Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.(the fourthh movie).was okay..again..it looked like they were rushing frm one scene to another!..
rite..even i too wont spend much on dis movie !thnx for the review!tc

Anonymous said...

man!! everywer harry puttar is making round..
i love the novels more though

X said...

i didnt watch the movie.
after the boks,its a heartache to see stuff cut and edited.

Still Searching said...

You know what.. Ididnt' read your entire post on Harry Potter, lest it gives out important pieces of the story! Heheh.. but I'll come back and read it soon, once I'm done with seeing it myself.. no matter what people say (and believe me, loads of people have said this one is disappointing), one just has to go and see "how disappointing?" for oneself! Everyone's got to make their own mistakes! :))

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Vidya said...

I had seen only the first movie of Harry Potter. That was then I realized that I would rather read such stories than see them on the big screen.

Thank you for the validation! :D

Vidya

Princess Banter said...

I haven't seen the latest Harry Potter yet but I heard someone say that it's so dark. I stopped reading the books on the 3rd one... I think the whole concept is just brilliant, but the books were just getting too damn long each time haha!

Xin said...

Nice comment.
btw i dont kno u....4 u to say
imback to blogging...do u kno..
me?
and about Potter. I havent seen the movie. But I already like it
and its awesome. We kno...we read Potter. Smbdy who goes without is nuts to spend tat money. Its just about seeing the elements of fantasy one imagined while reading,
about it being played back...on the screen of the theatre and not of your mind, and how the twain differ and blah. And its about being in love with the book and thta world...and muggles dont belong there.
Thank you.

What's In A Name ? said...

# dreamy -Dear old Nandan ?? anytime!

#Ps- you make me feel, " lucky me ! "

#shruti, dc , mihir, vidya- All say the books' bttr. And majority always wins.

#rp- same here.

#still searching- good that u didn't. I wonder what ur review would be ?

#princess banter- will havta wait fr the next movie to validate ur views.

#navina- I see u havnt recognized me frm iland.


#