Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Not a Sob-Jantaa Flick!

My first real outing after a sabbatical forced by an injured leg came after I was cajoled into watching 'Jaane Tu ...Ya Jaane Na' by my friends.

The film is custom-made to suit the tastes of the college-goers and owing to a simple narrative and good, clean renditions of the characters the audience is kept engaged. Same cannot be said about the second half as at places it becomes a tad too monotonous and predictable. The new-comers in Imran Khan and Genelia give off their best and it shows. Imran as Jay Singh Rathore looks fresh and promising as he keeps it straight and simple. Going by the look of things it seems he might well be the new poster-boy of Bollywood. Genelia looks disarmingly naive and innocent in her comeback vehicle into Mumbai filmdom. But for me it was Ratna Pathak Shah, as the mother of Jay ( Imran) who really stole the show. With some very intelligent timing of dialogues she sinks into her role with grace.

It will be better if I say nothing about the music at all. A.R Rahaman or Bappi Lahiri I just cannot digest lyrics as inane as 'Pappu can't Dance'. Spare me.

My take is the film will be a hit going by the swarm of people I was forced to avoid stepping on my healing foot in front of New Empire. And it was lucky that it didn't rain.

Thank God for small mercies.

11 comments:

I'll try 2 be truthful said...

hey i saw the movie yesterday & agree with u , but instead of analysing it i enjoyed it :)

I'll try 2 be truthful said...

hey i saw the movie yesterday & agree with u , but instead of analysing it i enjoyed it :)

Anonymous said...

Yes! Jay's mom and dad were a perfect couple !

Vagabond said...

you didn't mention naseeruddin shah dancing about in the picture frame!?

i found that hilarious. :D

Beauty and the BEast said...

lol!! I confess I am more tempted now than ever before to watch the movie!! :P

Sach1 said...

u don't like pappu :(
No offences! I just meant that I look for lyrics first then music but pappu was an exception :D

man in painting said...

i would like to watch the movie..But i liked the first song...
thanks for the review..

Llama said...

I think I will watch the movie.. I do like the 'Pappu can't dance' song tho :D

Good to have u up and about again.

WritingsForLife said...

This movie sucks big time... really it does.

Psychedelic said...

hey you let something pass unscathed from under the scanner... what abt the arbaaz-sohail desperate comic attempts?? I somehow dint find them hilarious... rest.. I think fits the bill right for a chick-lit flick?! :)

Shaapla said...

I didn't enjoy it that much. It tried a little too hard at being different, and ultimately fell into the same pit of similarity which the other thousand or so movies fall into. Imran was cute though, so I watched the movie.