Saturday, May 03, 2008


Children of the sunshine play

In my garden strewn with hay

Trampling all the virgin grass

Unknowingly they make my day.


I, sometimes, extract a glee

From the frolic flowing free

In my heart of hearts to know

That myself they will not see.


Still they guess a vigil wait

Till they walk out tired, late

I see some of them steal a glance

Past my forlorn, rusted gate.


At times when they are at a game

Going through the tried same

I busy myself fending off

The urge to know some of their names.


In my eager hunt for peace

I find a solace in their ease

Of handling little hurts at play

As envy capers accomplice.


This evening at my window seat

Life does seem so incomplete

Not to mingle with the grass

That tickles all those tender feet.


14 comments:

Antigone said...

the last stanza with its-'tickles all those tender feet' formed an objective co-relative. got reminded of the classic, 'Selfish Giant', who after a change of heart spent his time watching children play with wild abandon.

Amazing Graze said...

its amazing how you can write poetry almost every day & on almost everything. but no one's complaining as it is always good to read. :)

Whats in a name.......... said...

awwwwwww,,,,,
it was very innocent n very beautiful!!! they say there's a child in every man and rightly so!!

Torsa said...

such a poignant verse... things said so simply r always wonderfully refreshing to read.

Llama said...

You, my friend, need to compile a book of poetry. No flattery here. Really really. I'd pay to read.

What's In A Name ? said...

# antigone- Had to find out what that 'objective co-relative' of yours meant. I stand a dim-yet-lit man after my search. Elliot , I suppose, was the mastermind...or was he ????

And yes, this poem had others reminded of 'The Selfish Giant' too. I think I see myself as one.......only the later-stage i.e . :D


# Greys- Used to write a poem a day few years back ( when I started blogging i.e on rediffiland)....and this one was written in one of those sprees. Nowadays I am a little short on 'Muse'-material. :P

and yes.....'dhonnobaad' for that encouragement. :)


# namesake- a child ? yes. Long lost one at that. Thanks for your comment.


# torsa- Simplicity has its own charms. And they are ineluctable.

What's In A Name ? said...

# poojo - You were a hundredth of a second too fast for me. Otherwise this acknowledgment would have come along with the rest. Thanks. Will compile and send to you. See, if you can find me a publisher who wants his money down the drain. :P:)

Anonymous said...

Great job.....Anirban

What's In A Name ? said...

# Baekz- :) Dhonnobaad!

Macadamia The Nut said...

This makes me think sch happy thoughts! Thanks for making my day :))

dreamy said...

Tender..thats how I would say this was...:)

Poorna Banerjee said...

loverly. na??

Mahi said...

beautiful verse:) made me feel happy!

What's In A Name ? said...

# mac- So pleased to hear that. :)

# dreamy - yaa....a bit like 'alu-bhaatey' ?? eh ?

# panu- Your call. :)

# mahi- And that makes me feel happy.