Saturday, September 01, 2007

My Telephone - Diary







Once in two neat columns it tried to arrange my life.

On the left – Names.

On the right – Numbers

And in between scribbled letters which were meant to be addresses.

A shade of brightest blue,

A laminated cover on which still were written

In my signature ‘Vines and Strokes’ writing

Three harmless words-

My Telephone Diary.


How every new name and number brought thrill,

of growing popularity.....fun .......and much more.....

To ring up and speak in an unsure voice to some strict uncle...

or, at times, to ‘ Living -Questionnaires’. .....

Gave us reason to sulk.....and laugh......and complain....sometimes.

And as familiarity emerged at the other end in another overjoyed tone

of an eleven year old.....

Peace prevailed....time flew....innocence giggled in hushed tones.

At times when school was either lost in the heat of May

or drowned in festive drum-beats of para-pujos.

We shared life back then.

In small sachets of secret jokes and harmless jabs...

......conveyed in codes of 1s and 0s....over distances

which sounded unending and places obscure.

Now.....lost in the race to nowhere...

We have lost touch.

Love ?

I hope to believe not.


My diary doesn’t look its self now...

Tattered at places...

Torn into pieces

It looks at me with studied anticipation

And a knowing acceptance.

Giving the smudged letters a final glance I put it back...

to where it belongs now..

- The back drawers of my old, wooden closet.

Along with my nursery rhymes and frayed pencils and crayons

It will have good company there.

So I hope to believe.


The faded blue of it reminds me of a childhood-

Now I choose to make a relic.

Only an occasional reminder of

Who I am.

It serves its purpose every few years..

while the entire house gets cleaned...or painted.

Memories pound my veins now...

And as I push in the dreary drawer..

With a defeated sigh My Telephone Diary bids goodbye..

to things it meant to me ....once.

Who remembers these days ?

I move onto the next drawer.

12 comments:

Alok said...

brilliant metaphors drawn ... kudos

alok

Anonymous said...

Very well crafted words about this simple object...Very Nice!

annie said...

Thoughts conjoured up so well!

oblivious said...

it looked at me wid studied anticipation...v interesting but rhyming is poor the content very touchy. may be prose would have suited this one more :)

WritingsForLife said...

Indeed, this is a wonderful piece of writing :)
I am nostalgic right now.

Jeya Anand said...

Brilliant man...Childhood dreams..

º··´`·.¸» Dragöness º··´`·.¸»™ said...

wow... nice.. n no i dont mind.. thank you.. :)

dreamy said...

once again, lovely post.

Preeti Shenoy said...

Beautifully expressed.
I have a telephone diary too.It's not blue, but its brown.It's tattered and holds many happy memories.
Now with Mobiles, I think telephone diaries become consigned to drawers--untill someone like you decides to honour them (which they deserve) by writing a post.
Well done!

ad libber said...

Interesting touch about the drawer too, seems odd that we try to push off most of our childhood memories in one single drawer, as if anticipating to pull it open one day to reintroduce ourselves to a few not-so-forgotten days. Yet, they mainly contain nothing but crayons and old birthday cards really. Is it because we want to remember or is it because we hope to remember?

che sara sara said...

this one is simple..yet something very precious...nice one bro!

Misha said...

hey, i cud relate to this so much....this is what like about ur poems best - weaving words about the simplest object....
keep up the good job.....